Monday, March 10, 2014

deck-materials



I would like to build a deck this spring and I am going through the steps in having contractors come on out and bid on the project. It will cost me $11k to have someone build this deck out of cedar for me. I just happen to go into Menards and use their build designer program to design what I want in cedar. The cost of all materials needed was around $3k. This has given me the thought of actually building the deck myself. Now to the question....Is the material from a place like Menards just as good as what a contractor would get? Or should I take the BOM generated at Menards and go someplace else? Thanks.

Visit locally owned lumber yards and compare prices and quality with chain dealers. You may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.

Chances are your contractor is going to get the material from Menards. I did the same thing you did and got my quote from Menards. I also got prices from Lowes and Home Depot. Menards was about $100 cheaper. Also at my local Menards here, they are having a sale on pressure treated lumber for the next couple weeks. My original quote was around $1,800 for material. With the sale price, it comes to $1,550. They also said they would honor my Lowes 10% off coupon. Im also taking out the bagged concrete and going with readymix, so thats another $160 savings. So in actuality i should be getting my material for under $1400. I will pour the footings with ready mix the same time i pour my driveway. This should offset the shortyard surcharge since i'll be over 3 1/2 yards. So im almost getting the concrete for the footings for free.

Spend the extra money to build it out of composite materials - you'll be glad you did.

ive heard to many people complain about the composite. It is nice for not having to be maintained every year though. But i cant justify paying double for composite

Replaced my old PT deck two years ago with Trex and plastic rails and post covers.
No comparison to a PT deck so I would never again use PT for anything other than the joists and support posts.
Most of the big chains offer no interest for one year or more, so budget for the monthly payment. This higher up front cost beats the annual ritual of banging in loose nails, sanding, pressure washing, replacing splintering boards, sealing/staining and all the other fun stuff that comes with a PT deck.

Originally Posted by mitch17
Spend the extra money to build it out of composite materials - you'll be glad you did.
I was thinking about that actually. Do you know how well the composite stuff at Menards or Lowes wears? Some wear better than others. Have not heard anything about the stuff at the local stores.

I built a 500sf deck last year out of Timbertech floorizon planks. I had a quote of almost $22k to have it done. I built it myself with about $8k in materials total. The end result is beautiful and fairly maintenance free.
If you are decent with tools, build it yourself. You'll have a nicer deck that will last longer. I bought a Black and Decker book on deck building that was a great reference.
There are so many different types of compsite out there you should check out as many as you can. Go to home shows and get samples. Look at completed projects if you can. I have two friends that have Trex and I didn't like it - there was too much flex on 16 centers.

Consumer Reports did a rating on composite deck materials a year or two ago, although I don't think they included Trex. We have to deal with strong UV rays (8300 ft) and some friends complained their reclaimed Trex decking greyed very quickly. Our local lumber yard explained that Trex has been working on this and has a display of various composite brands, styles, and colors that they leave out year-round so folks can compare the different products. Different brands have different thicknesses as well.
We will be building a new deck and replacing the decking on two small decks with composite this summer. We chose this for low maintenance, recyclability, and low fire risk (we live in a fire prone area). Since we live in such a dry, high-UV area, we would have to refinish a wood deck more often, thus making the composite an easier choice.
One thing to consider is some damage to composite material may be permanent - stains and nicks can't necessarily be removed like real wood.

If you opt to go with a composite, which virtually all of my customers do, your choice of brands is only limited to what is available or can be ordered for you. there are about 85 brands out there, of which I have about 6 availble locally, and another 8 or 10 that can be brought in by special order.
ALL composites are going to fade in about 3 months. Choose the color based on what it's going to look like in 3 months -- NOT what it looks like brand new.

Aaah, cedar! If we could only get it on the right coast. But the composite is the way to go. Clean looks and minimal maintenance if properly installed.

I know, Larry.
Unfortunately the grades and sizes of cedar that we have available around here just aren't that good for decking. We DO have redwood, but the grades that I would use as a deck board cost as much or more than the composites, and you have all of that maintenance that comes with it.

Well we just ordered our deck materials. We decided to go with Trex since it's easily available and again we know what the fading is going to be like, plus friends of ours are happy with their trex deck. We chose the basic stuff - no trying to LOOK like wood here! Our deck is approximately 25 x 14 and all materials except the stair stringers and horse panels for the railing came in at less than $4k delivered (about 25 miles one way) from a local lumber yard. I budgeted more so we are having our trusty handyman help us with the framing - it will definitely be challenging!
Unfortunately all the Trex came in stained and unevenly weathered. Called the lumber yard a few minutes ago and I can already tell they will do everything they can go make things right - which is why we went with our local lumber yard. I will talk with the owner about this right away! So the reason for my post - find a good lumber yard (not a big box) you trust and stick with them! Also don't think composite is out of your price range, especially if you DIY!! We were quoted $8k plus to have someone else do the deck for us.
Off to return the concrete mixer - thank goodness THAT part is done!!

Originally Posted by logcabincook
Unfortunately all the Trex came in stained and unevenly weathered. Called the lumber yard a few minutes ago and I can already tell they will do everything they can go make things right - which is why we went with our local lumber yard. I will talk with the owner about this right away! So the reason for my post - find a good lumber yard (not a big box) you trust and stick with them!
You might find that this isn't actually a big deal. Ours showed up unevenly weathered and seemingly stained, but once installed, but it all weathers to the same color within three months, and the staining powerwashed right off. Looks great now.






Tags: deck, materials, lumber yard, local lumber, local lumber yard, unevenly weathered, about this, about this right, about this right away, about this right away reason, already tell, already tell they, already tell they will