Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Make Sweet Pickle Relish Canning Recipe







Make Sweet Pickle Relish: Canning Recipe


This recipe originally belonged to my great-aunt. I have tweaked and changed it so many times to fit my cooking style that I now call it "Heather's Own Sweet Pickle Relish." Enjoy!


Instructions


1. Shred 4 cups of cucumbers. You don't need to peel the cucumbers before shredding. I use the shredding attachment on my food processor. If you are using large cucumbers, cut them lengthwise and scoop out the seeds before shredding. If you garden, you can save the seed for next season. Place the shredded cucumbers into a sauce pan or stock pot.


2. Chop 1 Cup of Onion. I use the chopping blade on my food processor. Place the onions into the sauce pan or stock pot with the cucumbers.


3. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a slow boil. Turn the heat down to low and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.


4. Using a slotted spoon, place relish in 6 - 8 oz jars for canning or freezing. The slotted spoon will allow any excess liquid to drain from the pickle relish.

Tags: Pickle Relish, Sweet Pickle, Sweet Pickle Relish, before shredding, Canning Recipe