Thursday, March 14, 2013

Make Mint Flavored Green Tea







I've been drinking a lot of green tea lately, and frankly, drinking cup after cup of the stuff straight gets a little boring. Plus, I don't always want to add extra calories with extra honey or sugar.


So, I have a host of original tea blends in my personal files that I use when I need to shake things up a little bit. I like to make this one in the summer because I usually have fresh mint growing outside. Ideally, I use dried herbs in the blend and garnish it with a few sprigs of fresh mint.


For presentation, I like to serve it in a clear mug so you can see the mint leaves. (I put the garnish directly into the cup so the fresh mint can infuse it.)


Here is make this tasty tea for a change of pace.








Instructions


1. This recipe makes two cups of tea. Mix the green tea, peppermint and spearmint in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container until ready to steep.


2. When ready to drink, add 1 tsp. of the blend into a tea strainer and fit it over a mug. Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the mug. Sweeten or add cream as desired and garnish with a sprig of mint.


3. You can also make this in larger batches and give the blend away for gifts. To improvise a tea bag, measure 1 tsp. and place in the center of a small piece of cheesecloth or muslin and tie with cooking twine.

Tags: fresh mint, make this, garnish with