Wednesday, March 12, 2014

$3200 For Gutters



I just bought a pretty modest-size house with no more than 100 feet of straight roof line. The house is currently without gutters. Water pours off the roof at the front door and pools in the driveway. One of my neighbors recently had a leaf guard system installed on his house, which is nearly the same size. The price was a grand $3200. This is my first house, and so I have no experience with gutter prices, but this just seems wayyyyy too high to me. I'm about to start getting estimates and would like to be informed. What can I expect to pay for standard aluminum?

For starters, get atleast four or five estimates. As you have noticed, there are some leeches out there.
As info, just talked to my neighbor last night. He got a $350 estimate for about 90 feet of one piece(no seams) aluminum gutters for his addition.
good luck,
fred

Just so you know, do not go by just the price. Also do not compare what your neighbor had compared to what you may have. It will just not work. There are several different types of gutter systems. Within these different systems you also have continous gutters, seamless gutters, and seamed gutters. You also have light steel, heavy steel, and vinyl. You also have several different widths and heights. So as you can see, there are many different things that can effect the price. For instance, I just finished a job, and was about to install heavy steel white gutters and the price was going to be about $750. The homeowner decided they wanted steel painted gutters. These are special order. They ordered them, and the gutters alone came to over $1000. So you can see how different things can be.
When you get your estimates, write down what you want, give each bidder the same info. Also don't forget, you fascia or at least some of it may have to replaced also. This will be a little more. Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Ownership.

Jack , you mentioned several types of gutters and as always price is a concern, however i wouldnt want to go the cheapest either and have to replace them more often down the line.......so
in your opinion: If I am about to get a new roof and badly needed ventilation at the gutter line (using one of the certainteed gutter vent products) as well as a new ridge vent, all in all spending about 8,000 - 9,000 for a 30 yry warranty.
Which gutters should I choose for long lasting.
The reason I ask is becuase it might be worth spending a little extra now and not have any problems later.
SO which type of gutter is the best overall?
thanks

I am with you - 3200. seems way way too much for gutters!
I was told 2500. for my house and garage (total 200 ft) and I freaked out.
so , I hope to hear back from jack regarding my questions above.

Seamless aluminum gutters are about $2 a foot here.

is that installed?

strong enough to rest a ladder on them without crushing them for when I need to clean out the gutters etc.?

yes.

Here again it is your choice. Each is good. Each will last for quite awhile. It it were me, I would buy steel gutters, 16' length, and install these. Have your roofer do it. They do them all the time.
They have to put the gutter metal on anyway. These gutters will cost about $160 a foot installed. Now before you get all excited, remember, I said that there are many different things that can effect the price. Fascia, type of hangers, type of fascia material,
angle of fascia, type of roof, and etc, etc. When I do gutters on a house and someone asks me how much, I tell them I don't have any idea, until I am done. Too many variables. However, if your putting on a $8000 roof, $1000 for gutters is pretty reasonable.
I am not a seamless gutter fan. Too much built in profit. I have seen to many people taken advantage of. But this is just my opinion.

I have 200 feet total including my garage - that would be 32,000.00 for gutters.
Must be a typo.
No way anyone would pay 160.00 per foot.
Please tell me you meant 16.00

Gutters here run about $3.00 to $6.00 a foot for the aluminum 5 and 6. Dont forget when we figure the cost of gutters per ft you say a foot for a end, a foot for a miter, a foot for an L, a foot for a tube outlet and dont forget the down spouts per foot. If you dont have a foot on the ladderat the top when you want to clean them. Just make sure you put the ladder on the gutter where there is a spike and ferrule and this is right in the middle of the ladder. Gutters of copper and SS would cost the most when we put them up. ED

Yes, a typo. It is $1.60 per ft. And you use Ed's process for figuring exactly what a foot is. I have roughly figured out a rough estimate for 200 ft of gutter using a square of 50' on each side, and rule of thumb comes out about $400 for materials. Again it depends on all of the things I mentioned above. Every house is different.






Tags: 3200, gutters, about foot, also have, different things, aluminum gutters, different things that, different things that effect, different things that effect price, effect price