Monday, March 10, 2014

Robert Shaw 7000 Series Gas Valve



I have a robert shaw gas valve mili volt and it was installed in 2007 not part of any recalls.
When I shut the gas valve off and turn it back on to pilot i hear a hissing of gas. the same sound as if i depress the valve when it is on pilot. I then shut off the valve and wait about a minute and i hear a clicking sound in the valve and then when i turn the valve back on to pilot I do not hear the hissing of gas until i press the depress the valve in the pilot position and then i relite it and turn it on.
I would like to no if this is common in the valve the Thermocouple may be still hot and takes time to cool off. The lighting instructions say wait five minutes before lighting. If that were the case The valve would of clicked off and i would never of heard the hissing of gas.

Yes, it is normal. The thermocouple (or maybe you have a thermopile system) generates a voltage that holds the pilot valve open while the pilot is burning. It takes a minute or so for the thermocouple to cool enough to de-energize the pilot valve when the pilot flame goes out.

Customers: Robertshaw Controls Company, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer ...
toolbox.invensyscontrols.com/robertshawrecall/7000.html - C
You may want to check out this recall

I no about that recall my gas control valve was made in 2007. I have seen two or three different lighting instructions and they all say wait (5 minutes) even if you wait two minutes before relighting the pilot the unit would click off and the problem that I have experienced would never show up. The thermocouple would of cooled off by then.

I just installed a new gas valve sent to me buy the manufacturer and it does the same thing as the old one. I talked to someone at robert shaw and he said it takes about a minute for the valve to close when you shut it off. My concern now is when I go to light it and if I do not hold the button in long enough when I light it and the flame goes out and I relight it right away. I turn it to pilot and the gas comes in without pushing on the button and I light the pilot it stays on. Robert shaw is looking into that for me. I am wondering if you shut the unit off when it was on and wait the 5 minutes I do not have the problem. I am also wondering when you try and light the pilot and it does not work the first time you wait 5 minutes and then relight the pilot. The last time I tried and the pilot did not stay on after the first try I shut it off and waited a few hours and then came back and relighted the pilot and it worked like it was supposed to.
Maybe the key is when you shut it off or it does not light on the first, second or third try you have to wait 5 minutes after each try before you relight the pilot.






Tags: robert, shaw, 7000, valve, wait minutes, when light, about minute, back pilot, back pilot hear, back pilot hear hissing